Ways to interlink alarms*
FireAngel Wi-Safe 2 provides flexible wireless solutions for both hard-wired and battery systems. Up to 50 smoke, heat or carbon monoxide alarms can be interlinked in a network for maximum coverage.
There are 3 main ways to interlink FireAngel Pro and FireAngel Specification smoke alarms:
- Hardwired interlinked
- Interlinked via wireless radio-frequency (Wi-Safe 2 RF Interlink)
- Mixed systems - a hybrid system of hard-wired and Wi-Safe 2. This provides contractors with system flexibility. Additional smoke, heat, CO and specialised products such as strobes and pads and low frequency sounders for the deaf and hard of hearing can easily be wirelessly added or removed.
Interlinking alarms via Wi-Safe 2
FireAngel Wi-Safe 2 enabled alarms are connected via Intelligent Radio Frequency (RF) technology. Wi-Safe 2 simplifies installation as alarms can be linked together in a matter of seconds via a two button press “learning in” process.
It is important to note, that unique identity codes (16 million different combinations) are hard coded into the memory of the fire alarm network upon interlinking so these will be retained even if the mains is turned off.
Features of Wi-Safe 2
- Each Wi-Safe 2 alarm constantly monitors and communicates with other alarms in the network
- Mimics the sound pattern of the activated alarm - when an alarm detects smoke, heat or carbon monoxide all alarms in the network will mimic the sound pattern of the trigger alarm.
Tailored to suit the needs of the property and tenant:
- Test and locate from anywhere in the home with an alarm control unit. This can be added to any Wi-Safe 2 network.
- Additional smoke, heat, CO and accessories for the deaf and hard of hearing can be added or removed at anytime.
- Smart Silence - allows the user to silence the activating alarm for up to 10 minutes in the event of a known false alarm. After 10 minutes the alarm shall return to full sensitivity
- Locate feature - when the network goes into alarm pressing the test button of any alarm will silence all but the initiating alarm.
- Sleep Easy - A low battery ‘chirp’ can be silenced for a period of 8 hours by pressing the test button
FireAngel Wi-Safe 2 smoke alarms (including the FireAngel Specification range) use Multi-Sensor technology used by over 90% of the Fire and Rescue Service. To find out more about our technologies and products available, please see the FireAngel product guide.
Hardwired and wireless interconnected smoke alarms
FireAngel has mixed system capability, allowing for the interlinking of battery and mains alarms.
Just one mains powered Wi-Safe 2 enabled alarm is required to adapt an established hardwired interconnected system to communicate to other FireAngel wireless products. It also allows you to connect separate hardwire, interconnected networks, into one network by adding just one Wi-Safe 2 enabled alarm to each section.
Time and cost saving advantages of wireless alarms
As Wi-Safe 2 interlinks alarms via radio-frequency, you do not need to feed the wiring from one alarm to another. This can be a very time consuming process, and can cause problems with tenants not wanting trunking running up walls and across ceilings. There is no need to lift floorboards either. As a result, your damage claims to floors, carpets and decoration are minimised - if not eliminated.
As wireless alarms are more expensive, it is easier to justify the additional cost when retro-fitting smoke alarms as this is where surface trunking is often used.
In new build properties, cable can be relatively cheap and easy to install (without the need for trunking) so the extra cost may not be a viable proposition to you. However, some new build properties have concrete ceilings, meaning that surface wiring via trunking will still be necessary. In these applications the use of RF will likely to be highly beneficial.
To connect Wi-Safe 2 alarms onto an existing, hardwire network:
Existing hardwire interconnect between all alarms in the dwelling.
To connect Wi-Safe 2 enabled devices onto an established, hardwire network:
Place one mains powered Wi-Safe 2 enabled smoke or heat alarm on the existing hard-wired network. This will link all other Wi-Safe 2 alarms or accessories to communicate to hardwire interconnected alarms.
To connect Wi-Safe 2 alarms as separate hardwired fire alarm systems:
Separate hardwire interconnected networks in the dwelling.
To wirelessly link separately hardwire interconnected networks, such as upstairs and downstairs:
Place one mains powered Wi-Safe 2 enabled alarm on each hardwire interconnected network, to wirelessly link the networks together.
YOU SHOULD NEVER:
• Exceed 250m of connecting wire per circuit.
• Connect FireAngel alarms to any other models produced by another manufacturer.
Useful resources for electricians installing smoke detectors:
- Electrical Contractors eBook
- How To 'Learn In' Smoke Alarms To Create An Enhanced Fire Safety Network - blog post
Installing hardwired and wireless smoke alarms to meet Building Regulations:
- Your Guide For Smoke Alarm Positioning To Meet Building Regulations
- Use the SONA by FireAngel Specification Generator