The All Party Parliamentary Carbon Monoxide Group (APPCOG), of which FireAngel is a member of, has launched their Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week, held from 22 – 28 November 2021.
The week aims to raise awareness and help spread the message on the dangers of carbon monoxide. You might know carbon monoxide as the ‘silent killer’, but this gas is also associated with a range of health complications, including low birth weight in babies, brain damage and heart disease. Many of us could be being harmed without even knowing as CO cannot be detected by human senses.
How can you stay safe in your home from CO?
As well as getting your appliances and chimneys serviced annually by a GAS SAFE registered engineer, there are some simple, low cost things we can all do to stay safe at home this winter.
- Do use your extraction fan when cooking, if you don’t have one open a window
- Do save the Gas Emergency Service Number on to your phone: 0800 111 999
- Do register your appliances for the latest product safety updates
- Look out for a crisp blue flame rather than a floppy yellow flame on gas hobs
- Ensure you have an audible carbon monoxide alarm certified to British Standards placed 1-3 metres away from any fuel burning appliance to provide the earliest detection to potential poisoning
- Don’t use a large cooking pan or pot to cook over multiple rings on your gas hob or stove
- Don’t block flues or ventilation bricks and passages, these help to maintain good air quality
- Don’t ever put a generator or any other diesel or petrol burning appliance inside a building or positioned where fumes can blow inside – the build-up of carbon monoxide from these can kill in minutes
- Don’t ignore it if a neighbour or friend tells you they feel unwell at home but better outside, make sure they know about carbon monoxide so they can act
Keep an eye on our Facebook and Instagram channels this week and follow along with this important campaign using the hashtag #CarbonMonoxideAwarenessWeek.