Fire & Rescue, Fire Safety
Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) are reminding people to not leave mirrors or glassware in positions where they can magnify the sun’s rays onto combustible materials.
The warning of the fire risk of mirrors, follows two serious incidents in Merseyside caused by just this. Even during colder months, the sun’s rays can be very strong and at a lower angle, it makes the rays the perfect height to hit mirrors or glass ornaments and magnify.
Emma Roberts, HWFRS head of prevention, said: “This is a more frequent occurrence than people might expect. I’d encourage residents to take a look around your home and see what might cause a fire like this.
“Never leave shaving or vanity mirrors on windowsills and keep aerosols or any other flammable items out of direct sunlight as well.”
If you’re concerned about the risk of sunlight causing a fire in your home this winter, make sure you’re taking sensible steps to stay safe indoors:
As the trusted technology fitted by UK Fire & Rescue Services since 2007, view our range of fire safety products designed to protect UK homes including our Pro Connected range of smart alarms and keep your home protected.