Did you know, nine out of ten electrical fires are caused by electrical products?
Electrical Fire Safety Week, held from 22-28th November, seeks to raise awareness on electrical fire risks and the simple steps individuals can take to avoid a devastating fire in a home.
The awareness week is organised by the charity Electrical Safety First, with support from the Home Office and Fire and Rescue Services across the UK, to educate homeowners on the importance of keeping safe when using electrical appliances.
Help cut the risk of an electrical fire in your home by following Electrical Safety First top tips…
- Keep electrical appliances clean – ensure your electricals are in good working order to prevent them triggering a fire.
- Don’t charge electrical items on beds – always charge on a hard, flat, non-flammable surface.
- Use plugs safely – avoid overloading sockets and extension leads, too many in one socket can start a fire.
- Keep workstations tidy – move any hot or cold drinks away from electrical items or plug sockets.
- Don’t “daisy chain” extension leads – if your cable doesn’t reach, move your workspace closer to the socket or use a longer lead instead of plugging it into another adaptor.
- Fit working smoke and heat alarms – ensure rapid detection to any electrical fire by
Find out more information on how to stay electrical fire safe on the Electrical Safety First website, or take a look at our range of smoke and heat alarms.