A Carbon Monoxide (CO) alarm is the only way to alert residents to the presence of Carbon Monoxide within a property. A CO alarm via an audible alert
CO also known as ‘the silent killer’ is a gas which cannot be seen, tasted or smelt but can result in CO poisoning and illness or in some cases death. CO forms when the fuel in products, such as boilers, fires and ovens does not burn completely. Regular servicing of these products can reduce the risk of CO being present but it cannot completely remove the risk.
According to latest BS 5839-6 standards, for maximum LD1 protection you should fit a smoke alarm in the following rooms: Hallway, Landing, Living Room, Bedroom, Airing / Meter Cupboards, Loft, Garage. A smoke alarm is not recommended for installation in a kitchen, you should install a heat alarm in kitchens.
For further guidance on BS 5836-6, please visit our Standards and Regulations Section.
The common sources of Carbon Monoxide (CO) are cookers, fires, boilers, oil and gas boilers, portable generators, oil or solid fuel cookers, gas or paraffin heaters, barbecues (BBQs), clogged chimneys, wood or gas fireplaces, cigarette smoke or any fossil fuel-burning appliances.
Using a gas safe engineer to regularly service these items will help reduce the risk of CO in a home but it will not completely remove the risk. The only way to detect CO in your home is to install a Carbon Monoxide detector with an audible alarm. Gas safe engineers can be found via the ‘Gas Safe Register’ – this is an official list of businesses that are legally permitted to carry out gas work.