This post is in support of Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week 21st – 27th November 2016.
What is Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week?
Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week will be celebrating its 11th year of raising awareness of the danger of CO and continues to help prevent deaths from the silent killer.
What is carbon monoxide?
Carbon monoxide (CO) is an extremely dangerous colourless, odourless and tasteless gas emitted when fuel is not burnt properly. The most common sources are faulty boilers, gas fires and cookers.
In 2015, it was made mandatory for private landlords in England to have CO alarms fitted in their rental properties in all rooms containing fuel-burning appliances, such as a boiler or fireplace. Recent data obtained by ProjectSHOUT, measured record cases of CO poisoning year-on-year from July 2014 to June 2016; the introduction of these regulations should help raise greater awareness of the threat CO poses.
Further details of the dangers and side effects of carbon monoxide poisoning, and tips to keep tenants safe can be found at ProjectSHOUT.com, a new campaign set up to help raise awareness of this deadly gas and the simple solution to protect families.
What’s the best way to detect carbon monoxide?
Detecting carbon monoxide is the key to keeping you or your tenants safe and the only certified way to detect CO is with a carbon monoxide alarm.
Where can I get a carbon monoxide alarm?
If you are a tenant and your home contains a fuel-burning appliance, ask your landlord to provide you with a detector. If you are a home owner or landlord, speak to an electrician who will be able to source a reliable, audible alarm or see our what to look for in a carbon monoxide detector blog.
For best protection, we recommend that CO alarms are connected to your smoke alarm network, enabling an integrated system for the earliest warning of danger and the greatest chance to escape.
This CO Awareness Week, makes sure you and your tenants are protected from the deadly gas, install a carbon monoxide alarm.
Get your free guide on carbon monoxide poisoning here: