X Close
BlogHeader.jpg

FireAngel Blog

What To Look For In A Carbon Monoxide Detector And Where To Fit

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a toxic gas that cannot be smelled, tasted or seen. A by-product of incomplete combustion, CO can be produced in the home when fuel-burning appliances (such as boilers, gas fires and cookers) develop a fault, or are poorly maintained.
Read More

Your smoke alarm needs replacing every 10 years! Have you checked the date?

Did you know your smoke alarm needs replacing every 10 years? As is the case with the majority of our home electrical devices, smoke alarms cannot last forever. Smoke alarm sensors will degrade over time, leading to a reduced sensitivity in detecting heat or smoke. As a result, fire alarms need to be replaced every 10 years. Yet a worrying number of people are not aware of the fact that their fire alarms may need replacing.
Read More

Social Housing CO Legislation (England)

Ensuring tenants safety is one of the most pressing issues for registered providers. England’s social landlords accommodate around 17% of all households in the UK, and a large proportion of these are vulnerable tenants - individuals who are likely to need extra help or protection in the home. Whilst there are a variety of fire hazards that tenants need to be aware of, the dangers of toxic carbon monoxide (CO) in the home are often overlooked or unknown, yet CO poisoning accounts for up to 4,000 medical visits a year in England. As the symptoms are often mistaken for that of flu, and the gas cannot be naturally detected by human senses, there is an increasing pressure on social housing associations and landlords to do their utmost to protect their tenants from this deadly gas.  
Read More

New Gas Detector For Home And Travel

Combustible Gas Awareness There is a concerning lack of awareness of the potential dangers of gas in the home - from toxic carbon monoxide (produced from incomplete combustion) to combustible natural gas leaks. Whilst carbon monoxide cannot be detected without an alarm, stench agents are added to natural gas so it can be smelt. However, as seen in recent research by Brown University, sound is often sufficient to disrupt sleep, whereas scents cannot - so every individual is at risk whilst sleeping.
Read More

Smoke And Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015 Guidance

What is the Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015? The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm Regulations came into force in 2015 in a bid to bolster fire safety in homes across England, and understandably so. Over 200 people die yearly in domestic fires, and those living without fire alarms are four times more likely to die at home. It is therefore vital that private landlords abide by the 2015 fire safety (England) legislation, which requires there to be least one smoke detector on every storey of their rental property and a carbon monoxide alarm in any room that contains a solid fuel burning appliance (for instance, a coal fire or wood burning stove).
Read More

Kitchen Safety Guidelines For Tenants - A Handout For Landlords

Having completed all the required documentation and safety checks before a tenant moves in, it is important a landlord can thereafter trust his tenants to treat the property well and use it safely.
Read More

Carbon Monoxide And Project SHOUT: An Interview With Rob Lyon

Campaign Director for Project SHOUT, Rob Lyon has been a key figure in raising awareness about carbon monoxide in the home, and advocating the best way to protect those under your care - whether they’re tenants, family, or those sharing the same accommodation as you - by installing a CO alarm.
Read More

Project SHOUT

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an extremely dangerous toxic gas. Not only is it odourless, colourless and tasteless. but very few people even know about it. This is despite the fact that the gas can be produced from appliances in the home - such as boilers, gas fires and cookers - if they fail to burn fuel properly.
Read More

Carbon Monoxide Regulations In The UK

Carbon Monoxide poisoning  Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a toxic gas that is odourless and colourless, meaning that is almost impossible to identify without a proper detector. According to the Department of Health, carbon monoxide poisoning in the home causes approximately 50 deaths a year in the UK, and up to 4,000 medical visits. Carbon monoxide is produced when fuel is not burnt properly, so appliances such as boilers, gas fires and cookers, can be high risk within the home. It is therefore strongly recommended to get these fuel-burning appliances checked regularly by a registered engineer, and have a CO alarm placed close by. Unfortunately, cases of CO poisoning continue to rise, and there is still a profound lack of understanding of the gas.
Read More

Supporting Carbon Monoxide Awareness (2016)

This post is in support of Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week 21st - 27th November 2016.
Read More